Industrial and Manufacturing Uses

How Does Chlorine Dioxide Kill Bacteria?

Chlorine Dioxide's oxidizing properties and radical nature makes it an excellent biocide agent in a large PH range.

Compounds on the surface of cell membranes and within the cells of bacteria that contains oxidisable materials react to chlorine dioxide, causing disruption in cell metabolism and kills the microorganism. Unlike other disinfectants, chlorine dioxide can kill microbes even when they are inactive. Due to the strong oxidizing mechanism of chlorine dioxide, most microorganisms are also unable to build up resistances against chlorine dioxide.

Chlorine dioxide has been found to be one of the most effective tools for dispersing biofilms, and in some cases, inhibiting the formation of future biofilms. This function is especially valuable in the small cooling towers of food processing facilities where food product contamination can contribute to heavy films or algal slimes. Biofilm is a polysaccharide film or coating that protects and harbors viable bacteria colonies making surfaces more difficult to clean and disinfect.


Food Processing/ Food and Beverage Production

Prevent losses and operation disruption associated with Salmonella, E.coli and other bacteria with an effective disinfectant. Chlorine Dioxide can be used as an anti-microbial agent in water used in poultry processing and to wash fruits and vegetables.

Paper Processing

Chlorine Dioxide is used to chemically process wood pulp for paper and manufacturing

Medical Applications

Chlorine Dioxide helps hospitals and other healthcare facilities to sterilize medical and laboratory equipment, surfaces, rooms and tools. At appropriate concentrations, researchers have found Chlorine Dioxide to be both safe and effective at helping eliminate Legionella bacteria in hospital environments. Legionella pneumophila can cause Legionnaire's disease, a potentially deadly type of pneumonia.

However, Chlorine Dioxide is not a miracle cure for any ailment as advertised by "Miracle Mineral Solution" or MMS. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises MMS should not be consumed.

Drinking Water Disinfection

Around the world, especially in the U.S. and in Europe, Chlorine Dioxide is being used to disinfect drinking water. According to U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, adding chlorine dioxide to drinking water to protect people from harmful bacteria and other microorganisms. EPA also recognizes chlorine dioxide as a drinking water disinfectant and is included in the World Health Organization's Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality.